Southern Highlands Reserve Weather Station
- Click here to access our weather station at the Reserve: Weather Underground
- Mt. Cuba Center is a Delaware garden featuring plants of the Appalachian Piedmont Region.
- The Blodel Reserve is a garden and nature preserve located on Bainbridge Island Washington.
- The Polly Hill Arborertum is a horticultural and botanical landmark located on Martha’s Vineyard.
- The North Carolina Arboretum is located in Asheville, NC.
- The Missouri Botanical Garden website is loaded with useful information.
- This public garden database sponsored by the American Gardening Association and the American Public Garden Association provides locations and information about public gardens across the country in addition to general horticultural information.
- The North Carolina Botanical Garden at Chapel Hill
- The Great Smoky Mountains vascular plant database is a list of all the vascular plants growing in the GSM National Park.
- Donald Hyatt’s web page on native azaleas. Great information.
- North Carolina State University plant fact sheets.
- NC State Cooperative Extension Program – Transylvania County website provides information on horticulture, pest control and much more.
- Bloom times for southern Appalachian wildflowers
- The National Biological Information Infrastructure website contains information about all life forms in the southern Appalachians.
- The USDA plant database.
- A geological history of the southern Appalachian mountains.
- Recommended sources for native plants from the NC Botanical Garden at Chapel Hill website
- NC State University website on ‘Going Native’
- Tom Goforth of Crow Dog Native Ferns provides ferns native to the eastern US. Tom is active in ecological and horticultural research and a leader in the native plant movement.
- Natural Landscapes Nursery is a wholesale grower of native plant material in West Grove, PA. Jim and Bethany Plyler offer the highest quality plant material and an interesting website even if you are not a wholesale buyer. Much of their seed is gathered in the NC mountain area.
- Chattooga Gardens located in Cashiers, NC has an extensive collection of native plants for sale in addition to being active in the native plant movement. Plants from their plant rescue efforts are often for sale at the nursery.